Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Author's Note for Poetry Project


  I don’t really know why I decided to write about dance. I guess it was because I’ve been dancing for so long that it became this huge thing in my life. Like something that I’m really passionate about. Like Alice Abrams said, “Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.” And because it was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard “something you care about”. Dance is something that I can pour out my feelings into. It’s like writing for me. I can just express myself through dance. I wanted to tell everyone how I felt as a dancer and what I felt when I danced.
  I also had a lot of feelings about dance and what I thought of it after one of my dance teachers talked to my class about why we come to dance and why we take the classes. I realized that I’ve been taking dance lessons practically my whole life and I never stopped to think why I did it. I understood more as my teacher spoke that I’ve always been dancing because it comes natural to me, and because I feel very strongly about it. I’ve come such a long way to get to where I am today. Now I can even express my feeling into a dance, in a small phrase.
  I admit trying to find the right words to describe how I felt was hard. Because I’ve never done anything like this before. But soon as I thought hard and imagined dancing in my head, words started to come to me and before you know it, I had four poems done. And like Martha Graham said, “dance is the hidden language of the soul.” So please, try to see it my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment